Thursday, October 17, 2013

HMS Unicorn Build Log 5 - Colour Theme Design

Colour Theme Selection

I've been selecting colours for my ship since the ordering is placed, and till now, I've successfully narrowed them down to two final choices. 

Picture below shows how the original kit colour of the ship looks like (which I copied from a forum-er). 

Original Natual Finished Colour

Original kit instruction suggests a natural finished by using 3 different colours of woods: walnut, maple, and ebony. I can't deny that the colour for the ship is actually nice already, but I really would like to put on the colours I want to my ship. :)

Anyway, the 2 pictures below show how I hope my ship looks like: 

Blue Strips 
1st Version: Blue Strips + Yellow Gun port + Black Wale + White Waterline
The gun port 'frame' will be coloured to red. :) And, compared to original colour, the yellow gun port area is actually widen. 

And second version with red stripe on it. :)

Blue & Red Strips

I thought it'd be an easy modification until I measured the width of the wood strips.. because the walnut strips are 5mm in width; while the maple and ebony strips are just 4mm in width! And even the thickness are different! Walnut strips are 1mm in thickness; while the other 0.6mm!

My plan is to make a smooth hull, and put colours on them.. that's all! However, if I use all walnut strips for the hull planking, I might run out of wood strips. This is now what troubling me... :(

Anyway, I'll start the first layer planking first.

Thanks for viewing! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment