Monday, October 7, 2013

HMS Unicorn Build Log 2 - Lower Deck Modification

Lower Deck Modification

The kit's original plan on the lower deck is without hatch, but only gratings. Feeling that it's too 'plain', I've decided to add a stair to a level lower... the orlop. :)

I planned to locate the stair at the very front of the gratings in the original plan, something like this:

Modified Plan

To make it possible, I'll need to add a false deck beneath it, and that again need to modify the false keel and some affected bulkheads. 

Area to be Removed

The yellow line shows the location of the stair and gratings on the deck which will be cut off; while the red shaded area shows the area to be removed to fit the orlop deck. That will be total of 4 bulkheads (5, 6, 7, and 8) affected.

Some procedures... :)
First, I cut off a 'hole' on the false deck. Here is where the stair and gratings will lay.

Modifying Deck

Then the bulkheads..
I made the height of the lower deck to orlop 25mm, which is the same as the height from upper deck to lower.

25mm Deeper

And the keel's part...

Cut Off Keel

Finally, after all the cutting and sanding jobs, the orlop can now fit between the bulkheads. 

The Orlop

I started planking on the same night, and chalked edge of planks for better detail.

Chalking The Orlop

Actually, it doesn't need to be fully planked.. I mean, I could just planking the center part of the board.. I planked them full to treat it as a good warm up for the higher deck planking. :D

Then, I added treenails to the planks. 


Treenails Added

On the rest of the weekends, I started the lower deck planking. Anyway, before I begun I've changed my mind to add a space between the stair and gratings (which design I referred from the HMS Pandora). So, it's how it turns out now. :)

Lower Deck Planking

Just a quick sharing on how I made my planks. :)
I'm planning to stagger my planks by 1/3, so I made their lengths 105mm so that they can be easily divided by 3. 

Plank Trimming Method

After a whole long night of planking... :) the sides will be planked after the hull planking is done, because I still need those frames to guide the hull planks.

Lower Deck Planking

Next, I'll work on the stern modification. :)

Thanks for viewing!! ^^

1 comment: