Wednesday, October 9, 2013

HMS Unicorn Build Log 3 - Stern Modification

Stern Modification

Like what I've done on my previous ship, I'm again taking the challenge. :) I'm going to make a Captain's Cabin with furniture in it, and they can be seeing through the windows of the gallery and the skylight on upper gun deck.

Skylight As Provided by Corel

Picture above shows how the kit provided skylight looks like. I'm gonna extend it to the shots garland, making the skylight in long rectangular shape, so that there will be more angle to view the cabin from the deck. :)

So, it will be around in such length:

New Skylight Location

Hope you can see the marking... :P 
Another few modification to make are the bulkheads and keel that blocking the view to the cabin. Picture below shows how the overall modification roughly looks like:

Stern Modification Draft

So, as you can see.. The blue box indicates where the cabin should take place; and the yellow line shows where the skylight roughly is; while the shaded red area will be the keel part and bulkhead (middle) to be cutoff. The 'stern block' that I'm holding is provided by the kit, and that will use to hold the last 2 bulkheads together. :)

I started it with the keel...

Modified Keel

And then the bulkheads... 

Bulkhead 16

With the whole upper piece cut off, the hull planks will no have guide from this bulkhead.. so, they will be on 'their own way' to the next (last) bulkhead. :) The little piece of board glued on will be the support of themselves.

Stern Block Glued

'Stern block' glued in place...

New Stern Piece

Bulkhead 17 glued on...
There should be actually 'holes' for the windows on BH17, but I haven't cut them off because I still need to border of it to guide the hull planks. 

Modified Stern

Finally, the whole piece is now in place... it's not accurately fit according to the kit's plan, slightly lower I think. Anyway, it shouldn't affect that much.. will just need to check from the stern whether the hull curve coming correctly.

Fillers

I've then sanded the keel a bit lower and added all these UGLY looking filler to it.. :D And then, a big checker carpet to cover them :P

Checker Carpet

Hate the wrinkles... haha
Might change a new 'carpet' in the future. As long as the upper deck is not fitted on, it'll be still good to change. 

I really love the big space of the cabin. It really gives me a lot of space to design my furniture. Anyway, it's still a long time to go... I'll start all the fittings only when the hull planking is done.

Thanks for viewing!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment