Monday, October 14, 2013

HMS Unicorn Build Log 4 - Ladder Making

Ladder Making

Ladder is the first fitting made in this build. It has to be done before the hull planking, so that it's easier for me to check whether the feet of the ladder 'landing' correctly from outboard.

The kit provides the materials of the ladder, with pre-cut ladder slot for the steps. Anyway, they are not as good as expected.


Un-aligned Slots

As you can see from the picture above, the slots of the ladders are not aligned. I've tried switching them, but still only a pair matches. 

For the 'surroundings' and steps, I used these:

Strips to Make Ladder

I made the wider strips inside the narrow ones, so that it acts like plug to the deck. After some measuring and checking, here's the result:

The 'Surrounding'

It's a bit terrible, isn't it? lol Especially at lower right corner..
I remade one anyway. :)
And then insert the steps into the slots.. steps are in 20mm length.


Ladder

Just glue them together and they're completed. :D


Ladder Done

View from this angle, the extended part can be seen clearer. It also helps covering the ugly plywood cross section.

As seen from deck..


Ladder In Place

Picture below shows how I check the angle of the ladder from outboard.


Ladder As Seen From Outboard

I haven't made the handrails of it, because the stanchions provided by the kit is way out of scale in their height. I might adjust the upper deck higher, or remake the stanchions.

Thanks for viewing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment